Current scam being reported by the ATO – August 2023
The ATO is receiving reports of several ATO impersonation SMS and email scams.
These scams encourage people to click on a link that directs them to fake myGov sign in pages designed to steal their username and password.
Scammers use many different phrases to try and trick recipients into opening these links. These include (but are not limited to):
You are due to receive an ATO Direct refund’
- You have an ATO notification
- You need to update your details to allow your Tax return to be processed
- We need to verify your incoming tax deposit
- ATO Refund failed due to incorrect BSB/Account number
- Due to receive a refund, click here to receive a rebate
Do not open any links or provide the information requested.
The ATO won’t send you an SMS or email with a link to log on to online services. They should be accessed directly by typing ato.gov.au or my.gov.au into your browser or contact us to confirm if its a scam or not.